Category: Kitchen Improvements
Today’s kitchen is the heart and hub of the home. It is often where families not only cook and dine, but also where they play games, pay bills, chat on the phone, and entertain guests. As a meeting place, the kitchen must be a livable community space for staging a variety of activities and events.
You’ll feel inspired to use your imagination to plan, order, and stock your kitchen cabinets to bring your dream kitchen to life. Top-notch kitchen cabinet makers can help you consider the many options in cabinet design and storage to ensure you pick the best cabinets for the decor, colour scheme, style, and size of your house and kitchen.
Combine attractive kitchen cabinets with lots of storage space
The organization, design, and finish or paint of the kitchen cabinets must appeal to the eye. And the storage capacity of the cupboards, drawers, and cabinet closets must appeal to a sense of organization.
By “sense of organization” we refer to the need for ample kitchen-cabinet storage for a wide range of objects–dishes, dishtowels, pots and pans, trash cans, recycle containers, appliances, and board games. Some homeowners install cabinets in walk-in pantries. In older homes without walk-in pantries, cabinets work as pantries of sorts for dry and canned goods.
Consider space for a phone centre or a cabinet-filled island for cooking and eating
Nowadays cabinets are often designed to accommodate a desk with a phone centre, a television, and appliances. Kitchen cabinet space often accommodates microwaves, refrigerators, waffle irons, and bread machines. Or cabinets can support an island with a counter where cooking and eating take place.
Other companies may know how to build cabinets, but we know how to build the “community kitchen.” So, try to consider all the things you do in your kitchen-ranging from elegant dining to playing board games-before you settle on your dream kitchen cabinets.
Consider the many types of kitchen cabinets
The variety is of cabinets is broad and you can literally transform your kitchen. For example, kitchen cabinets can stretch from floor to ceiling. You can request under-cabinet lights or hooks or racks that hold dishes. You can include corner cupboards, closets, and cabinets with glass or solid doors.
Choose between a variety of materials, such as cabinets in oak, pine, and other wood species
We can custom design solid wood cabinets in a warm, rich finish or paint. They can be so unique that you won’t see them anywhere else. And wood is durable, strong, and long-lasting, should the cabinets ever need to be repaired or refinished.
Solid wood cupboards are far superior to ones made of particle board. Particle board wears down quickly during regular use. And if water damages the surface, it swells irreversibly. It’s unlike solid oak, pine, cedar and other wood species, which can be refinished rather than replaced. Wood veneer or laminate are other options.
A stellar cabinet maker and installer knows you want lots of options, perhaps ranging from a modern Scandinavian look to a flamboyant Victorian style with antique hinges and door handles. You also want a smooth renovation. Use a designer to fully plan the design and construction to ensure your kitchen cabinets are assembled and ready to install.
One of the basic design elements of your kitchen is the kitchen cabinets. Basically these cabinets are categorized into three parts i.e. semi custom, custom and stock.
Semi custom cabinets are available in standard size with modifications. They easily match with the interior or the exterior design of the kitchen and thus give it a look and feel. The custom cabinets are those which are available in different sizes and style as they are manufactured according to the specifications. You can give the design specification for these cabinets according to your kitchen décor or requirements. You can add as many features as you want in your custom kitchen cabinets. The stock cabinets are available in many designs and styles at the various home improvement stores. These are available only in set sizes which start from 9 inches and can be increased to 48 inches.
There are various types of cabinets available on the market out of which the 5 popular designs available in the kitchen cabinets are as follows:
These cabinets come with doors that have raised panels. Cherry, walnut or mahogany colors are available in the traditional kitchen cabinets. Plenty of design work like fluting, corbels, crown and rope molding is found on these cabinets. Traditional designs for the kitchen cabinets come in Italianate, Georgian and Victorian designs.
Country cabinets include oak or cherry cabinets with the raised panels that are glazed, painted or distressed. These cabinets give natural look to your kitchen because they themselves possess the light natural look which is usually oak or pine. In order to give aged appearance, the country kitchen cabinets are painted white with distressed finishing.
The contemporary cabinets have designs that are modern, curved or geometric manner. These cabinets do not make use of ornamentation or molding. One can get white, stainless steel or other bright colors in the contemporary cabinets. Doors of these cabinets are designed in such a way that they open in horizontally lift up style.
The transitional cabinets are the combination of contemporary and traditional designs. They are designed by using the mixture of man made and natural materials.
The rustic cabinets are manufactured by using wood like hickory, knotty pine or alder that is heavily grained. There is a flat panel door system available in these cabinets. Some of the common color stains available in the rustic cabinets are yellow, red and green.
However, there are other different designs available in the kitchen cabinets. Depending upon the décor of your kitchen as well as your requirements you can choose any one of them. All of the different designs available in the kitchen cabinets give fresh and elegant look to your kitchen. While purchasing the cabinets for your kitchen it is more important that they should be more functional instead of being attractive. These cabinets should have more storage space and it will be better if they have bin, baskets or any deep drawers. Thus while purchasing any of the designs available for the kitchen cabinets; you should take a look at their functionality so that you can get the best for your kitchen.
Kitchen cabinet design offers abundant options for every re-modeler to find the perfect cabinets for their new kitchen. Understanding the basic elements of design will help you narrow the array of options and simplify the decision. Some of these basics relate to the quality of construction and others are a matter of kitchen style and personal taste.
Let’s consider each in turn. Two of the basics of kitchen cabinet design are quality issues. The other two are about style and taste.
1. Material. What material will be used to build your
cabinets? Material is one of the most important decisions you will make
because the design and style of your cabinets are the major factor
determining style and design of the entire kitchen. You have several
- Metal (stainless steel, aluminum). Metal can be both expensive and heavy to hang. Some metals – especially those used in the past – were subject to rust. Metal can be available in colors or it can be painted. These cabinets also show any dings or dents if they are accidentally hit with a pan, and they will show scratches. For these reasons it is not a popular choice in kitchen cabinet design.
- Wood combinations. Some cabinet makers use less expensive wood, such as plywood or pine, to build the cabinet case and then use doors and exterior panels of better or more expensive wood. Some also use particle board or other composite materials. Any wood cabinets can be painted in the color of your choice. You can use a glossy finish or a matte finish.
- Solid wood. These cabinets are built entirely of finished, high-quality wood, such as hickory, oak, maple or more expensive woods like cherry or walnut. Traditional kitchens and some country-style kitchens might use a dark wood, such as cherry, mahogany, walnut or ebony. Contemporary kitchens tend to use lighter color woods such as birch or maple. You will want to consider the color, the grain of the wood and the finish applied to the wood. Better cabinets are finished with several coats of polyurethane to protect the wood. Solid wood is currently the most popular kitchen cabinet design choice.
2. Construction. Low quality cabinets are often put together with glue or with nails or staples. This is not a good idea (if you have the choice) because under the heavy use of kitchen cabinets and drawers, they will not last. High quality cabinets will be joined with dove tail construction. This is one of the most important aspect of kitchen cabinet design.
3. Door Style. There are many types and designs in cabinet doors. The door style is the primary determiner of kitchen cabinet design. For example, a contemporary kitchen would almost demand a flat panel door design. Raised panel design, on the other hand, is the preferred door style for a traditional style kitchen. Other cabinet designs include these door styles: reveal-overlay panel, frame and panel, beaded frame and panel, square raised panel, curved raised panel, bead board panel and cathedral panel.
4. Accessories are the final basic element of kitchen cabinet design. Accessories include knobs and handles, organization customizations, accessibility options and specialty modifications. Knobs and handles should match both the style of the kitchen (rustic, worn, sleek) and the other metals used in visible places in the kitchen. For example, brushed metals work very nicely with stainless steel appliances. There are many devices and gadgets that can be installed in drawers and cabinets to organize the contents. Many custom or customized units have these items built in. Accessibility items include things like sliding trays or spinning units (lazy Susan, for example) to make things in the cabinets easier to reach. Specialty modifications are changes made to any cabinets to make them function over refrigerated drawers or bar refrigerators, etc.
By understanding these basics of kitchen cabinet design, you will be better informed, better informed to ask questions, and better able to limit the number of cabinet styles you need to consider in order to choose the cabinets you will use in your kitchen remodel.